The Giphoscope is the world first handmade analog GIF player. It's an interactive sculpture that combines technology from the 19th and 21st centuries and turns GIFs and short videoclips into a breathtaking, hand-cranked work of art.
Based on the Mutoscope created by Herman Casler in the 1890s, the Giphoscope follows the same principle as the flip book: a sequence of images on a Rolodex-style wheel with a handle that you can turn to 'flip' them.
The machine is entirely handmade with passion, patience and precision in Italy, from materials such as marble or italian fine woods for the stand, plus titanium and/or gold, silver, brass, aluminum for the metallic structure.
It’s a totally unique and artistic way to bring a digital short video to analog life and create a magical, perpetual emotion. The possibilities are pretty endless with The Giphoscope, as you could have it on display in art galleries, exhibitions, hotels, showrooms, houses, offices, concept stores just as you would a sculpture or painting. More than this, The Giphoscope is a perfect tailor made gift to celebrate very special moments in life such as a birth, a wedding, a birthday, or to carry any message you have in mind.
- Conceived, designed and hancrafted by Marco Calabrese & Alessandro Scali at Officina K, Turin, Italy .
- Tailor made.
- Metallic structure in titanium and/or gold, silver, brass, aluminium; marble or italian fine woods for the stand.
- Dimensions: 17,5 x 17 x 13 cm.
- Hand crank with ball bearings.
- Displays 24 frames animated GIFs/video sequences.